Sunday, December 14, 2014

Specially Designed Art - A Year of (FREE) Lessons

What do you do when you have students that are not succeeding in the traditional Art Room setting? You make up a new class! 

That's what I did a few years back when I felt like the students in our Cognitive Disabilities program were not getting a high quality experience Art. An hour was too long, the materials and multi-step directions were too much, and some of them were becoming aware of how different their art was turning out compared to their peers, etc... I just felt like there had to be a better way to serve these amazing students. In the beginning, I didn't really know what it was going to look like or how it was going to work. There have been some surprising successes along the way and some "well...we won't do THAT again!" moments as well.

Each year, I set out to organize the class in a slightly different way because I don't want the kiddos getting bored and well, let's be honest, it would be dull for me too! I've talked about my yearly plans for SDArt before HERE, along with other lessons I've done with these kiddos. 

I love the SMARTBoard aspect of our SDArt class because it provides a way to see/read the directions along with a cool way to link to songs or online activities after the project is finished. I have posted the entire PowerPoint, but don't feel like you need a SMARTBoard to use the file. It has over 25 lessons that can be looked at on a computer, printed out and used with a variety of students or grade levels. Each project has some images to look at, step-by-step directions, a link, and a picture of a finished student example.

I'd feel guilty if I kept this huge file all to myself! Please enjoy and share!
Specially Designed Art: A Year of Lessons

Here are some of my favorites:
A is for Apples

F is for Feet

L is for Light

T is for Trees

U is for Umbrella

V is for Vegetable (Prints)

Z is for Zig Zag
~Amy

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I will definitely be using some of this with my own adaptive art kids!

    ReplyDelete