Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Teachers Don't Work in the Summer


WHAT?!?
I had a great conversation with my kiddos in the car today. (Isn't that where some of the best ones happen??)

I asked them if they thought teachers work in the summer and, very quickly, in unison, they said “No!” I was shocked! This summer, they've come with me to my classroom each week to pick up/drop off supplies, they've helped me make some new decorations for the art room, they have been with me at Target when we bought new bins for school, and I thought they noticed all the time I've been spending on the computer working on "school stuff."  But they didn't know that teachers work in the summer?!

After I got over my initial shock, I thought about it all a bit more. I love the planning that goes into my lessons, my management system and the organization of my art room. And I feel so lucky that I have a few weeks to catch my breath and really reflect on what has worked in my room and what needs tweaking. And who are we kidding? I don't spend all this time on those things so my students NOTICE the new scrap paper bins and color-coded labels! I do it so that my room is colorful, welcoming and runs efficiently.

And because I love the planning, organizing and creating lessons, my own kiddos don't see what I do in the summer as "work”. I now see that as the biggest compliment!  They will grow up thinking that work can be enjoyable, can be creative and flexible, and that they can have a career, a family, and anything else that they work hard for.  I can't think of a better message!

No comments:

Post a Comment